Best Drupal 7 Modules for Responsive Design
We now have a new updated post on Drupal Responsive modules for you to enjoy!
In today’s modern world, the expression is you have to either evolve, adapt, or get left behind. Us monkeys have certainly learned to adapt, which is one of the reasons we love Drupal as a content management system. Among our favorite Drupal features is responsive design, the ability for content posted on a desktop to appear properly on all screen sizes, tablets and mobile devices. Left on its own, Drupal does a great job providing responsive design, and the much-awaited Drupal 8 promises to be entirely mobile friendly, but in order to get the best effects out of Drupal 7, there are a variety of modules web designers can install.
The good folks over at WebOmelette.com recently wrote a great blog post discussing the best modules for Drupal responsive design. Some of their favorites include:
- Adaptive Image, “is a very useful module that handles images by serving device appropriate versions from your site’s image fields. It’s also very easy to configure, all you need to do is add the adaptive effect to an image style and specify some breakpoints.”
- Picture, uses HTML5 technology to help devices load images based on capability. Allowing the smallest monkeys and the biggest gorillas to see the best-sized image for their capabilities.
- FitVids, for automatically resizing embedded videos from YouTube or Vimeo.
- Tinynav, for adapting menu items to be user friendly. WebOmelette explains, “This one is about navigation. Tinynav implements the tinynav.js jQuery library to transform your menu into a select dropdown on small devices. I’m sure you’ve seen it on websites. You resize the browser and the main menu turns into an HTML select list with options that link to the menu pages.”
- Mobile theme, for allowing a separate design theme to appear when a website is accessed from a mobile device.
Responsive design is a necessary part of website design. With the number of different devices and screen sizes being used to access the Internet, you want to know your users will be able to see your content and interact with your website. These great modules will help you get the most out of your Drupal website.